
When I imagine the ideal music label, I see a pantheon of my favorite artists, a bunch of boys and girls who come from different countries, musical backgrounds and atmospheres. In real life, they've never met, but in my cd book, they're on the first page, looking deeply into each other's eyes/music. Then I imagine the most unexpected duets, mixing harmonies and cultures: Manu Chao meets Cake, The White Stripes shout while Charlotte Gainsbourg whispears, Jack Johnson giggles with Tribalistas, Seu Jorge cheers Shivaree up, Regina Spektor tries to make her voice bigger than Youssou N'Dours', Souad Massi and Ben Harper fall in love.
In my room, Emily Loizeau and Andrew Bird live on the same shelf, and I like them both the same way: a lot - even more. Suddenly, "Planes at night protect us from flowers" meets "I watched waterbugs skate memories, like mohair sweaters". But this time, it's not only a distraction of the mind, it's real! Andrew came along with his violin when Emily recorded her first album. And now, she comes along with her piano when he is touring in Europe.
Then I got interested in Fargo, that dreamed label that actually exists - they signed both Emily and Andie, that's why... I met all their kiddos, from Neal Casal to Alamo Race Track, Shearwater and Clem Side. Loizeau and Bird remain the most accomplished it's true: I've always been impressed by the way some musicians manage to frame their sweet madness, making it reachable and adorable.
'luck birdies.


No comments:
Post a Comment