Friday, 1 December 2006

Of Mice and Men



There are mice in our house. It had to happen considering the detestable attitude of 3 of my housemates when it comes to washing up matters. I could write a very long post about that growing pile of old and crusty cutlery shining over the sink - that can only be pleasant to watch when the sun's beams caress our magnificent window - or about my numerous attempts to educate those depraved students I share this house with, but that would make me a little dejected and even more stressed that I already am.

So, some interesting facts about Mus Musculus. DID YOU KNOW THAT mice are attracted by water, have massive fests in your kitchen when you're asleep, and could easily live there (if you're not an anorexic soja milk addict) for almost a year? Wikipedia and the mouse-man who came in this morning say so. When he came in my room, I told him I hadn't seen any, to which he replied "HO HO! Have you seen that big hole in your floor? I bet plenty of them are waiting for you to turn of your lights! Do you keep food here?". I didn't reply to that question... but started picturing in my mind this mountain of French cooking chocolate bars hidden in my cupboard, on top of which a bottle of Martini has been standing enthroned.

This afternoon I received this text: "Hey Vic, I'll b home at 9ish 4 the house meetin. Also i have a feeling that Vitas, Lee n Louise will try 2 argue theyre not that messy n Hannahs not there 2 bk us up so will u help me make sure ppl know they HAVE 2 b tidy? xx". I thought it was kind of sweet but quickly realised I was in a dramatically sad situation. She then sent me: "Vitas is always suspicious. did u hear about the time he flushed noodles down the toilet downstairs?". This is just to give a broad idea of the kind of freakshows I live with. Mice are not the only ennemies...

One other revolting issue is the attitude of the landlord. Apparently in England the tenants have all the rights. When on our housemate summit meeting we talked about calling the Health and Environment Services to back up our claim when facing the landlord, my junky housemate (less high than usual) said we would be considered responsible for the state of the house, even if half of us has just moved in, even if the mice have been gnawing our house for at least 6 years. Debate among housemates. Then war. The landlord living in Ireland and being more busy with the reproduction of his sheeps, we'll have to deal with those disgusting issues on our own. I say: we must investigate and be more self-confident. But I was so passionately involved in the conversation, my speech turned into toad's spit, just like when David asks me "What's your stand up?" and I have to reply very quickly.

The point is (as V would say) we are students and we shoudln't be too demanding they say in the landlords' paradise. When we earn money and start paying our loans back, then we can look for a decent house, a decent life, have the right to take pride for the place we live in, respect the others, respect ourselves etc. Until then, we have to live with mice.

No comments: